When opting for an aircon installation, the first step is to differentiate between inverter aircons and non-inverter aircons which can be quite difficult. This can be due to their similar design and functions as well as confusion on why they’re termed as such. Moreover, many are unsure on whether to engage an air conditioning service to install them in their home or office.
In order to help you out, we’ve provided the following detailed comparison for both air conditioner types. By reading them, you’ll be able to determine which one is most suitable for you.
Compressor Speed: Like non-inverter aircons, inverter units consist of an aircon part called a compressor which is connected to the inverter. The difference is that with inverter units, this runs at different speeds when compressing the refrigerant so as to minimize power consumption.
In an inverter aircon (such as the Daikin RKS25GVMG / FTKS25DVM), the compressor’s motor adjusts its speed depending on the info it receives from the temperature-detecting sensors. If the external temperature matches the aircon’s internal temperature, then the compressor’s speed is reduced.
Noise: Because an inverter aircon’s compressor never shuts off, it produces less noise. Thus, it’s ideal to install this aircon in your bedroom so that you can have cool air without any disturbance.
Energy Efficiency: As mentioned, an inverter aircon’s compressor doesn’t run at a fixed speed. In fact, its speed level is dependent on desired temperature and ambient air temperature. Thus, it makes use of 30% to 50% less energy than non-inverter units. So by having this aircon installed in your office or home, you’ll be able to avoid high electric bills as a result.
Purchasing Cost: An inverter aircon has both a variable speed motor and additional inverter which regulate the compressor motor’s speed. As such, it’s more expensive as compared to a non-inverter unit. So if you want to buy this aircon for your home or office, try consulting an aircon servicing technician. That way, you’ll be able to manage your budget much more easily.
Compressor Speed: Whereas the compressor of a Mitsubishi or Panasonic aircon runs at different speeds, a non-inverter aircon’s compressor functions at a fixed rate. When compressing the refrigerant, said compressor runs at full capacity and then turns off once the desired temperature is reached. As a result, it consumes heavy amounts of energy.
Noise: If you’re opting to install an aircon which performs quietly, installing a non-inverter unit is not recommended. This is because the constant enabling and disabling of the compressor tends to produce loud noises which can be distracting.
Energy Efficiency: Because a non-inverter aircon’s compressor motor runs at high speed, the only way to control its power usage is by disabling it repeatedly (this also helps avoid aircon leaks). However, doing so results in a high amount of electricity being consumed. So if your goal is to avoid high power bills, installing a non-inverter Daikin or Mitsubishi aircon may not be the best option.
Purchasing Cost: Although it’s more expensive to maintain, purchasing a non-inverter aircon is actually less costly. This is because it consists of less components and wiring and has a stable speed motor. So be sure to consult a technician specializing in aircon repairs and other services if you want to install this aircon in your home.
Inverter Aircon Pros and Cons
- More energy-efficient compared to non-inverter Mitsubishi or Daikin aircons due to its ability to save up to 50% more power.
- Less noisy compared to non-inverter System 1 aircons since the compressor isn’t enabled and disabled constantly.
- Those who need to make use of their aircon units for long hours daily may be best served by an inverter aircon (such as the Mitsubishi MXY-4G38VA2 / MSXY-FN10VE X3 / MSXY-FN18VE). This is because it is more durable and reduces power costs.
- More expensive to purchase as compared to non-inverter System 2 and System 3 aircons due to their additional parts and manufacturing cost.
Non-Inverter Aircon Pros and Cons
- Has a lower cost than inverter Mitsubishi or Daikin aircons since they have less components. This makes it suitable for those with a limited budget and who only need to use their aircons at certain times.
- Is less energy-efficient since its compressor motor is constantly switched on and off. This can result in high power bills especially if the installed aircon is used for long periods of time and in wider spaces.
- A non-inverter aircon’s compressor only turns on when compressing refrigerant and then turns off once the desired temperature is reached. Though this ensures that the aircon blows out cold air, it also causes it to produce loud noises which can be extremely distracting.
- Because the motor energy of an installed Mitsubishi aircon or Daikin aircon is dissipated once the motor is turned off, the motor itself is less durable.
When choosing a home or office aircon to use for the long term, many technicians recommend that you set up an inverter aircon. This is because it is more energy-efficient and has the capacity to perform quietly. As a result, you’ll be able to have to have a cool and refreshing atmosphere with minimal noise. Moreover, you don’t have to worry about high power bills any longer.
On the other hand, if you simply want to install an aircon which you’ll only use during certain periods, then choosing a non-inverter unit might be the better option. Although it functions more loudly and consumes more electricity, you’ll be able to save in purchasing costs since its listing price is less expensive.
Should you continue to experience difficulty in choosing the right aircon for you, simply contact DW Aircon Servicing Singapore. We’ll be glad to provide any aircon advice which you need.
DW Aircon Servicing Singapore guarantees the best aircon services such as aircon servicing, aircon repairs, aircon installation for the top aircon brands, aircon chemical overhaul, aircon gas top-up, aircon water leaks, aircon not cold fixing, and many others. Our licensed and experienced technicians have the skills to ensure that your unit provides you with cool and refreshing air. Moreover, our company has lasted for over a decade now and has conducted various aircon works for both commercial and residential areas (landed, condo, HDB). We have consistently described as among the best aircon service providers as seen through our Google and Facebook customer reviews. So in case you have any issues, WhatsApp us at +65 8241 0032 for reasonable and transparent prices. You can also call us at +65 6653 2988. Engage us now to fulfil all your aircon needs!