Table of Contents
Air conditioners are considered a must-have appliance in all homes, offices, commercial buildings, and even schools. Along the way, due to lack of regular aircon servicing or other reasons, your aircon may face some of these common issues, including your aircon not being cold. All air conditioners are eventually prone to disrepair, and will need an aircon repair at some point. For extensive damages and problems, it is always better to contact a professional aircon service company.
Here at DW Aircon Servicing we understand that a working, reliable air conditioning unit is key to your comfort in Singapore’s hot and humid climate. Which is why when your aircon starts blowing warm instead of cold air, it is immediately a cause for concern.
Why Is My Air Conditioner Not Cold?
Here are some reasons why your aircon may not be cold:
1. Faulty Compressor – The compressor is one of the important components of any air conditioner. Its main function is to help your aircon distribute cold air in your room, but if it is damaged or clogged, it will result in warm air being blown out instead, resulting in your aircon not cold. This will need to have an aircon servicing company to inspect and provide you with a diagnosis of what is the root problem.
2. Dirty Air Filter – There is a reason why it is constantly stressed that regular aircon servicing is important. The main reason why the air filter of your air conditioner should be changed regularly is that a dirty air filter will restrict the flow of air and cause your aircon to be not cold. The air filter should be cleaned every 3 months, and for commercial aircons, on a monthly basis.
3. Faulty Fan – If the fan motor cannot perform its optimal function due to dirt and debris, then the aircon will not get cold as much as it should. The fan could be repaired or replaced depending on how severe the degree of damage is. Our trained aircon technicians can assist you with this.
4. Low Aircon Gas – The coolant liquid used for cooling the warm air in the room, which is pumped by the AC’s compressor into the evaporator coils, is a refrigerant that is refilled by an aircon gas top up. If the aircon doesn’t seem to be cold enough, this could be one of the reasons.
5. Leakage of Coolant or Refrigerator – In relation to low aircon gas, it might not be that is a low level, but because the coolant has been leaking out. In this case, it is an aircon emergency and must be attended to quickly by a professional aircon company.
6. Clogged Condenser Coils – The condenser coils expend heat from the air conditioner’s compressor. The efficiency of these coils may get reduced due to dirt or dust as it is located in the outdoors. This problem can be solved with servicing at regular intervals, which we offer as part of our aircon services.
7. Frozen Evaporator Coils – Evaporator coils basically function by pumping the refrigerant through the coils themselves, which eventually helps the aircon to get cold to cool the room. The evaporator coils may get frozen for clogged because of dirt stuck in them, and as a result, the AC will not be able to cool the room efficiently. Our trained technicians can identify this problem, and fix this issue.
What To Do When Aircon Is Not Cold?
Now that you know what are the reasons why your aircon is not cold, what can you do about it now?
One of the most common reasons of aircon malfunctions is the lack of adequate air flow. In principle, an air conditioning unit draws in warm air, which is then cooled on evaporator coils. This cool air is then recirculated back into the building. If the aircon filters are clogged, ice or frost form on the evaporator coils, and the warm air is unable to be cooled on the evaporator coils effectively to keep the room cold.
Most people ignore the repeated advice of the importance of clean aircon filters until an aircon issue appears. Usually most common aircon issues start from the root of dirty aircon filters. You can do a normal aircon servicing yourself at least once every 3 months, or have a professional aircon servicing to have a thorough clean out. This ensures a longer lifespan and energy-savings for your optimally functioning aircon.
Faulty Printed Circuit Board
If none of the solutions above help, it’s time to move on and check the Printed Control Board (PCB), Working in conjunction with the thermistor, it monitors the air temperature and sends power to the compressor. Therefore if damaged, it can cause a general malfunction of the aircon unit. However, it’s important to first check the thermistor before condemning the PCB assembly.
Most window aircons use a capacitor to start the compressor. If the capacitor is faulty, the aircon will not be cold and may start blowing warm air. This component is located inside the unit and may require a disassembly to reach. If there are no visible signs of damage on the capacitor, it does need to be checked by a professional with aircon repair tools.
Another issue that may cause your air conditioning unit to malfunction is a problem with the thermostat or the temperature control unit. Although professionals may need to be employed to investigate and fix such an issue, it’s possible to visually inspect certain components to check for damage.
The bulb detects air temperature in the room, and controls the functioning of the aircon compressor. Check the bulb for bends, ruptures and other damage as well as that it is placed correctly in the airflow through the evaporating coils. If any damage is apparent, the component may need to be replaced.
If all else fails and your aircon is an electronic control model, check the thermistor, located in the airflow though the evaporator coils. If the component shows signs of damage or corrosion, a thermistor replacement is in order.
Fan and motor
If cleaning the filter and coils does not solve the problem, we recommend to next check the fan motor in the unit. If the fan runs too slow, this may result in the icing over of evaporator coils. In order to check these components, it may be necessary to disassemble the aircon. Check the fan blades and motor for damage or seizure. If this occurs, it might be necessary for a fan motor replacement. Is the aircon still not cold, with no visible damage or seizure to either component? Contact us for some professional advice.
Aircon Water Pump, Fan Coil, & Isolator Replacement (Aircon Repair) in Singapore, Commercial Building – Woodlands
At DW Aircon Servicing Singapore, we pride ourselves on our affordable and quality aircon services to ensure all residential and commercial air conditioning units are always keeping you cool and comfortable. We also supply and install aircons with excellent after-sales customer service to provide you a 1-stop convenience for all your aircon needs. Browse our previous aircon projects and read through our positive reviews. Contact us to speak to our friendly customer service staff. Call us at +65 6653 2988, Whatsapp us at +65 8241 0032 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We operate from Mondays to Sundays (9am – 9pm) and in all Singapore locations.